Saturday, March 25, 2017

Bead Soup Blog Hop 2017......

 

 

I am so glad to be able to, again, be part of one of my favorite blog hops. It's been a few years since this one last took place. I would like to thank our lovely hostess Lori Anderson  for all the hard work and time she has devoted to make this exchange and hop happen for all of us!

I would love to introduce my partner Heather Marston. She is a busy mom, enamel artist and also teaches preschool. It was unfortunate, but we really didn't get to know one another very well, but our families and careers must take precedence, when folks are busy.  But I was sent a fun, yet challenging variety of hoarded goodies to work with.

This is the batch of hoarded goodies that I was sent. There are some Czech beads, a really big focal (neither of us know what the stone is) a couple of her enamel pieces, a couple of ceramic focals and lastly a couple of banana shaped beads.

Next is what I sent to Heather...

 

The top picture is what I hoard the most and that's labradorite. I love everything about it. I am always drawn to it. The 3 focals I have been hanging on to for quite a while. The others are  some strands of labradorite from my collection, let's be real I can actually call it a collection. The second picture it one of the other things that I tend to hoard and thats vintage crystal beads. I love them, they are very different from the modern crystal beads that you can purchase,  I think that it's the cuts and facets that set them apart.

 


I was so excited to open my package, there were a couple of things that I wasn't sure what to do with. I wanted to use or make something with every last thing I was sent, but I have a life outside of my studio and just couldn't pull it off. Believe it or not the bananas were the first thing my weird brain gravitated towards, I instantly knew what I wanted to do. So here's what I did with the banana beads.

He is totally going to hang from my rear view mirror of my car. I'm not exactly sure what it's called but that's what it is.

Then I just had to make a necklace with this enamel piece, it's beautiful. The colors are rich and the combination of colors is perfect. 

Next this is how I used the spotted Czech beads. I used 2 part epoxy putty ( for the first time) to make this ring. I really do love how it turned out. 

I took a picture of it on my hands and boy does summer need to get here soon, I need to load up on lotion and maybe get a manicure. Needless to say I will not be posting the picture of my pretty ring on my ugly hands!

The next one is my absolute favorite piece. I like simple, when it comes to jewelry that I personally wear. The ceramic focal I was sent was my favorite color, purple, I had to make myself a piece with it and this is what my personal style looks like. They are separate pieces and I have decided that I am going to make a load of similar style necklaces, in different colors, length, gemstones and charms, so that I can mix and match and layer them to match my clothes. I can't believe I never thought of doing that before.

Okay I am going to be super honest here, this focal was the hardest for me to work with, but I felt compelled to make something, since Heather had hoarded it and then shared it with me. I was stumped. Lori said no matter what, we are all jewelry artists so we can make something out of anything and that's what I did.  I tried a style that I have never worked with (tribal like) and even did some knotting work, also something I have never tried. I worked this piece for ages and just when I was about done, the thin leather cord broke from me over working it. I used so many colorful words, you have no idea how many, I mean so many. But I finally made it through making it, but after this I never want to look at it again. If someone wants it, let me know I will gladly send it to you! 

 I want to  thank Heather for being my partner and Lori for putting this all together. I hope everyone has fun hopping and I can't wait to see everyone's creativity! I almost forgot here's the list of participants....

 

 

Till Next Time,

Rosa

 


31 comments:

  1. Your pieces are all wonderfully innovative! That green focal bead looks like magnesite, a dyed stone that people often mistake for turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work - most I like the Ring - it is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I've been thinking the same thing about the layering of necklaces. You did it in a very pretty way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tribal inspired necklace. It is unique and charming. Your pendants on chain are very nice too. They are suitable for anyone and go with many, many outfits. Enjoy your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also made a necklace in my personal style which is simpler though I should make a few more to layer like you did. I do like how you used the green stone. It is a striking necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a beautiful job! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria, Your enameled focal necklace is beautiful. I really like your ring. It is a very creative use of the beads. Kudos to you for using the epoxy putty for the first time. The green stone looks like magnesite or howlite to me. I do like the design of your last necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you did with the bananas! What a hoot!
    Love the ring, how creative using the epoxy.
    The pieces you created are amazing. I'm glad you had fun creating with the beads what I sent you. Thanks for being my partner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The monkey and the bananas is just too cute! The ring is amazing. I have a ton of those beads, and I never would have thought of that! And I LOVE your description of how the piece with the green focal came together. I know we can all relate :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How in the world did you have a little Monkey to hang with those banana beads? So fun! I like the idea of it hanging in the car. The ring using epoxy is amazing. It's so inspiring to see people using beads in a different way. All of your pieces are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The green focal may have been your hardest, but I think it just may be the prettiest - nicely done! And then the bananas and the monkey - they crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the flower ring, it is so whimsical and quirky and I personally would enjoy wearing something like that. I think the green tribal necklace came together really well and looks quite neat

    ReplyDelete
  13. really fantastic ring!stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you used your weird brain to create everything here! Especially that ring.. It's amazing! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mind went to the bananas first too! I'm so happy you used them, and in such a cute piece. It will make you smile in your car every day! The necklaces you made are great, especially the ones you made for yourself. I love the layered look, and it's smart to have an interchangeable wardrobe of necklaces. I love the ring!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The little monkey with the bananas is so stinking cute, love the idea if him swinging away in your car. Very ingenious was you did with the spotted Czech beads. I like all of the necklaces you made, I love layering different ones together too.
    Janeen Burlingame

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you have been busy making beautiful things with the beads you were sent! I think my favourite is the ring!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The monkey car thing is the cutest thing ever! Love it! Despite how difficult it was, I think that you did a really nice job with the last necklace. It's very visually interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You may have wrestled with that big focal, but the necklace is really great looking! That's the greatest thing about these hops, when we discover we can do wonderful things with materials outside our normal range.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me smiling with the monkey and bananas, and things continue to improve from there. The necklace with the enamel piece is gorgeous. The ring is a beautiful reflection that spring is here. Your favorite necklace is lovely, but the one I absolutely hands down love the best is the one you don't like at all. Ha! That last piece is GREAT. Maybe you should work outside of your comfort zone more often! You did a fabulous job with your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The rear view mirror "necklace" is way too cute. What a fun idea. It will make you smile every time you drive your car.
    Wow that ring... what a very clever idea. 2 part epoxy putty...hmm must remember. Love the necklaces. Yes especially the last one. It shows that a lot of TLC (and colorful words)have gone into that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That turquoise slap pendant is the BEST COLOR EVER!! Very spring inspired pieces- nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment.
    I love the necklaces you have made and that ring is sheer inspiration well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All your designs are splendid!!! Love the ring, that was genus using the epoxy. Your design that you said you were having trouble with is really wonderful. I bet you surprised yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rosa you made some wonderful pieces! You really nailed the triple vibe with the large focal. i adore the ring you made, epoxy putty is wonderful stuff. you did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. All of your pieces are wonderfully creative! The monkey is too cute! And, the ring is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have a pretty big hoard of labradorite and prehnite, too! And I love how the green came out. Could it be variscite (if it's not dyed?) Regardless, it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh heavens! What you sent and what you received were both amazing soups! I had to laugh because I have some of those banana beads too and have no earthly idea what to do with them. I'm glad to see you came up with something, and it's so adorable! The rest of your pieces turned out awesomely as well. I hate that you had so much trouble with that last piece, but I know we all have projects like that. It did turn out well at least! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your writeup was as fun as your jewelry . That ring caught my eye - funky and makes a statement. Great job on your soup - really,I mean it (even the last piece that fought you to the end) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Finally making my way down the hopping list! Sorry it took so long! So cool! OMG I love that ring! Did you hang up the monkey yet? that is such a cute idea, I'd have to smile everytime I looked at it :) Love that layered necklace too! Is that focal on that last necklace some variation of a sleeping beauty turquoise you think? That was my first guess. I love that color!
    You did an awesome job with all the goodies you were sent!
    I miss your face so much! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi,
    That ring caught my eye, too, it's pretty original and special. Nice work!
    Alenka

    ReplyDelete